How to Get US Citizenship
Getting to become a citizen of the United States of America can be both stressful and time-consuming but when you have the right guide it will be an easy process. There are different ways on how to get US citizenship.
If you are married to a U.S citizen and you have your green card, after a few years you can apply to become a citizen.
If your child is birthed in the United States, the child is considered to be a United States Citizen.
The first and foremost requirement of becoming a United States Citizen by naturalization is a Legal Permanent Resident and a Green Card, after some years you can start the application and that’s after you have met some set requirements.
Requirements for becoming a US Citizen
- The age requirement of been at least 18 years and above should be met before filing an application.
- You must have your green card for a minimum of five years.
- There must be proof that you have resided in the state you are applying for a minimum of 3 months.
- You must have continuously lived in the U.S for a minimum of five years before filing an application
- You must have resided in the U.S for a minimum of 30 months from the five years you stayed with the green card.
- You will have to prove that you can read, write and speak basic English
- You must have an understanding of U.S history and the government.
- You will show respect for the US constitution.
- You must not be tagged with any serious criminal case.
If these requirements are not met then your approval to become a citizen will not be granted. After meeting the requirements, there are a few steps to becoming a citizen of the United States.
Submit Your Application
The application to become a citizen is to be submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with other documents that will be requested for like your permanent resident card.
USCIS will notify you to come for your biometrics, this notice will carry all the necessary information you need.
Prepare for Test
You will be called for a test after the biometrics and if you pass you will be interviewed, your Proficiency in the English Language will help you in both interview and test.
Swear the Oath
If you pass the test and interview then you are fit to swear the pay of citizenship.
Ways You Can Acquire American Citizenship